Lemon Meringue Pie has been one of my favourite deserts to bake and eat since forever so I thought I would share with you my favourite recipe to use to make a delicious Lemon Meringue Pie.
You will need:
For the Pastry
- 175g Plain Flour
- 100g Cold butter
- 1 tbsp. Icing Sugar
- 1 egg Yolk
- 2 tbsp.. Cornflour
For the filling
- 100g Golden Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Lemon Zest
- 125ml Lemon Juice
- 1 small orange
- 85g Butter
- 3 egg yolks and 1 whole egg
For the meringue
- 3 egg whites
- 200g Golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp. Cornflour
- For the pastry, put the flour, butter, icing sugar, egg yolk and 1 tbsp. of cold water into a food processor. Bind everything together, but make sure it’s not over worked. (I like to use the pulse setting on the food processor)
- Tip the pastry onto a lightly floured surface, gather until smooth, the roll out to fill your baking tin. Trim and neaten the edges, make sure the pastry is pressed around the bottom of the tin, don’t worry about the cracks as the pastry is rich, just press the cracks together. Prick the base with a fork, line with foil and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Put a baking sheet into the oven and heat oven to 200C/Fan 80C/Gas 6. Bake the pastry case by filling it with dry beans for 15 minutes, then remove foul and bake for a further 5-8 minutes until the pastry is pale golden and cooked. Lower the oven to 180C/fan 160C. Gas 4.
- Whilst the pastry is baking, prepare the filling, mix the Cornflour, sugar and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Strain and stir in the lemon juice gradually. Make the orang juice up too 200ml with water and strain into the pan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Once the mixture bubbles, remove from the heat and beat in the butter until melted. Beat the egg yolks and 1 whole egg together, stir in the pan and return to a medium heat. Keep stirring vigorously for a few minutes, until the mixture thickens and plops from the spoon. Take off the heat and set aside while you make the meringue.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl. Whisk to soft peaks, then add half the sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking between each addition without overbeating. Whisk in the Cornflour, then add the rest of the sugar as before until smooth and thick.
- Quickly reheat the filling and pour it into the pastry case. Immediately put spoonful’s of the meringue around the edge of the filling, then spread so it just touches the pastry, this prevents it from sinking and stops the meringue from sliding. Pile the rest into the centre, spreading so it touches the surface of the hot filling.
- Return to the oven for 18-20 minutes until the meringue is crisp and slightly coloured. Let the pie sit in the tin for 30 minutes, then remove and leave for at least another 1-2 hours before slicing.
What is your favourite dessert to bake/eat?