Whilst on a recent girls dinner, we were talking about self-care and how many of us actually appreciate ourselves and not just the people around us. I’m definitely guilty of not giving myself enough credit for the amazing things I’ve done as a human being. I cannot express how important it is to look after yourself once in a while and actually put your needs and wants in front of other people.
I’ve found this a lot easier said than done, so I have put together a list of ways to practice self care, in hope that I can encourage you to realise and praise yourself for being an amazing human being.
- Make time to spend time doing something you enjoy, whether it’s going to the gym once a week or sitting down in the evenings to watch your favourite TV show, find a something that makes you feel good and make time for it
- Make time for yourself away from other people. Sometimes it’s good to spend time with yourself and learn to enjoy your own company to improve your self-care.
- Get a full nights sleep, regularly. I’ve recently changed my sleeping pattern drastically and I’ve started to notice that I’m feeling more sluggish, unmotivated and sick sometimes as I’m getting less sleep than normal. I understand for some people sleeping for 8hours+ every night can be near impossible, but try to get a decent nights sleep as and when you can, your body will thank you for it.
- Take a hot bath. There is nothing better than coming home during the winter and running yourself a warm bubble bath whilst catching on with your favorite show or movie.
- Visit your favourite place in your place where you live.
- Spend time outside. Getting outside, regardless of the weather can be very therapeutic for your mind and soul. Breathing in the natural air is sometimes all you need.
- Do not force yourself to do something you do not want to do. This isn’t always possible, but if something isn’t compulsory and you will not enjoy doing it. Don’t even entertain the idea.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet, but allow yourself to enjoy your guilty pleasure. Reward yourself on a Friday night for working hard at work. Balance is always good.
- Write down what your thinking and feeling. Being able to explore how different situations and people make you feel, is one way to make yourself the centre of your thoughts and feelings.
- Unplug from social media once in a while. As much as I love spending time scrolling through Instagram or Twitter, just remember it’s all very fake. People only post the parts of their lives they want you to see, it can be hard sometimes to scroll down instagram to see pictures of women looking amazing in a bikini, or how many their relationship with their partner is and not compare this your own life.
What are your top tips for practising self-care?